Job Openings November 2015
Causa Justa :: Just Cause builds grassroots power and leadership to create strong, equitable communities. Born from a visionary merger between a Black organization and a Latino immigrant organization, we build bridges of solidarity between working class communities of color. Through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, and direct action, we improve conditions in our neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area, and contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change.
Tenant Counselor / Organizer
SAN FRANCISCO TENANT COUNSELOR / ORGANIZER
We are hiring for both a Full Time and Part Time bilingual Tenant Counselor/Organizer to provide advice and housing counseling in Spanish and English to residents several days a week to be based in our San Francisco office.
Job responsibilities include:
• Provide tenant rights counseling including – maintaining and providing necessary case management for clients.
• Complete intake and update case information on tenant counseling database
• Represent, advocate for, and/or translate for tenants at the San Francisco Rent Board, Small Claims Court, and Settlement Conferences, as appropriate
• Participate in the creation (including curriculum development), implementation, and facilitation of Know Your Rights trainings
• Identify and recruit clients who want to support organizational membership and campaign efforts
• Support member development and leadership within the organization
• Secure member participation to membership meetings, events and mobilizations through phone-banking and mailing
• Support the development of member meeting agendas and content, as well as provide logistical support and staff general membership meetings
• Support the successful planning and implementation of organizational events and activities
• Raise funds for the organization through participation in grassroots fundraising activities including – asking for membership dues as part of member recruitment, raising funds from individual donors and supporting organizational fundraising events
• Creates effective partnerships and alliances that move the work forward
Ideal candidates should demonstrate the following skills and expertise:
• Strong commitment to social, gender, racial and economic justice
• At least one year experience in community organizing or direct service work with low-income communities of color
• Knowledge of issues related to tenants’ rights and the housing crisis
• Familiarity with San Francisco &/or Oakland including – local history, geography of the city / neighborhoods, knowledge of various organizations, political issues, etc.
• Strong personal organization skills
• Experienced with computers – including familiarity with Word, Excel and Google calendar
• Fully bilingual in Spanish / English – including the ability to translate written documents from one language to the other. Native
Spanish speakers encouraged to apply.
We are hiring for both Full Time and Part Time Positions. The FTE salary range is between $42,000-$48,000. Position is open immediately. Deadline for application is November 20th. People of color, women, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com