Community organizing is fundamentally about relationships and leadership. Causa Justa :: Just Cause invests deeply in developing leaders from the neighborhoods where we work. Our members serve on committees that develop our campaigns, they support each other to fight the banks and the landlords, they raise funds for the organization and they push themselves to be leaders of the organization and their communities.
In 2010 we:
- Brought our Latino and African-American members through a multi-session study group and training to discuss the merging of our two community bases.
- Recruited 507 new members for a total of 1,500 members.
- Over 100 members took on a leadership role; speaking at rallies and press conferences, leading community meetings, training other members on their rights, and representing the organization in front of the City Council and the Board of Supervisors.
- Held over 90 meetings of our various campaign and membership committees.
- Hired eight members on to paid electoral field teams to learn the skills of voter outreach and education.
- Hired two of our members to permanent staff positions in the organization to further their skills and development.