Volunteer because – We couldn’t do it without you
Interested in building people’s power and fighting for housing and immigrant rights? Become a Causa Justa :: Just Cause (CJJC) volunteer or intern!
Email email@example.com or call 510-763-5877 x321.
Our volunteers help build our organization and empower our communities in so many ways. Volunteer roles include:
- Tenants Rights Clinic Intake (Oakland & San Francisco): Reception volunteers get a special training. They speak to tenants in distress and then set up appointments with the housing counselors and refer people to resources. We ask for a minimum 4-6 month time commitment. SF volunteers must be fluent in Spanish.
- Justice Cab (Oakland & San Francisco): Help our members attend meetings and events! Rides are most often needed weekday evenings and Saturdays.
- Childcare (Oakland and San Francisco): We rely on volunteer support to offer free childcare at our member events! We ask that our childcare volunteers also attend an orientation with the Bay Area Childcare Collective.
- The Movement Fund (Oakland & San Francisco): Share your passion for housing & immigrant justice, strengthen your grassroots fundraising skills and help build the resources our organizing work in the process by joining the Funds Team!
- Office Support (Oakland): We would love a few hours of your time during business hours for general office tasks that keep our organizing going smoothly, like data entry, mailings, campaign research, media tracking, computer support, etc.
- Written translation (English to Spanish): Can you help us translate documents? Get in touch!
- Got other skills to share? Let us know. If you have a talent, passion, specialized skill, experience, or training, talk to us! We’ll figure out how your skills can support our organizing work. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Eleanor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We love our volunteers! Here’s what some of our volunteers have to say.
Interns make a longer-term commitment (3 months or more) to volunteering on a weekly basis. You can intern with us whether or not you are currently enrolled as a student. As an intern, you will have the chance to learn about and support a multiracial, community-based membership organization whose work is based in a left framework of social transformation. You will deepen your understanding of gentrification and displacement in Oakland and San Francisco, the role of the city and state in current conditions, and be part of strategies for grassroots resistance. CJJC is unable to offer paid internships, but many of our interns find funding through their schools. We can create an internship based on your availability, timeline and interests. Qualifications vary by the position but we always look for:
- Commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice and to growth around these things
- Ability to work respectfully with, and under the leadership of: communities of color, immigrants, LGBTQ people, and working-class people
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to the changing needs and plans of an organization
- Ability to work on a team and communicate consistently
CJJC volunteers and Interns help our offices run more smoothly, support our members to bring their leadership to the organization and increase our capacity to wage effective campaigns. We offer study groups and other learning opportunities for our volunteers.
“As an Oakland native and person of color, volunteering with CJJC is a way for me to fight for the Oakland where I grew up–the Oakland that was shaped by the political vision and social scenes of working class people of color. I don’t do this kind of social change work in my 9-5 job. Volunteering with CJJC helps me to stay connected to and inspired by economic justice work!”
“I volunteer with CJJC because I believe in grassroots movements for justice. CJJC sees and treats housing as a right and supports our communities to realize that right. Power to the people!”
“I like volunteering with CJJC because they are good folks, and there is always something to do. I always leave feeling like I contributed in some way for the struggle for housing and immigrant rights. Being a West Oakland resident, it’s one of the ways I give back to my community – and it’s really inspiring to be part of a movement where different organizations are coming together and fighting the same fight.”
“I volunteer with Causa Justa :: Just Cause because I want to support people in their collective struggles. I also want to spread the word about this style of organizing, about the amazing work that is done here. We need those examples!”
“I’ve been volunteering for 2 ½ years. I’ve met a lot of people here fighting for the same things. That keeps me coming back. I want to be of service — to help tenants.”
Join our team today! Contact Eleanor at 510.763.5877 ext. 302 or email her at Eleanor@cjjc.org for more information.
Esta página aparecerá en Español muy pronto. ¡Gracias por su paciencia!
This page will soon appear in Spanish. Thanks for your patience!